Dance Coach & Entrepreneur, Cape Town, South Africa
Thuthu has a spunky character with a lot of kindness behind those eyes. She had whip smart responses to my various questions about her role in Project Playground and also her religious traditions pre and post wedding. It was a learning experience and she handled this inquisitive foreigner perfectly. I've been continually amazed by the roles and responsibilities the women in this organization have taken upon themselves. It's been wonderful.
Thuthula Somila Ncaca
2. Where is your hometown?
Langa, Cape Town, South Africa
3. What is your profession/career/title/self-label/designation?
Administrator at a non profit organization Project Playground, dance coach & I also own my catering and events business.
4. What was the journey like to get where you are (career wise)? When was the mental shift to start the journey?
My journey took me away from spending time jollying with friends & made me think more about my future and goals. I was not a qualified administrator when I started working at Project Playground, but had the skills to do the work and because of how dedicated and willing to learn I was once I was offered the position. I took it as I like challenging myself with work.
5. Biggest accomplishment since making the (physical/mental) move?
Getting my business registered and getting promotion at work. I also recently got married and feel like I started a new life.
6. What was biggest disappointment and plan to overcome it?
I had to buy my own utensils and equipment, because I didn't make much profit last year due to renting the necessary equipment.
7. Advice for other women?
Woman need to start to believe in themselves and know it’s possible to lead a company and businesses. Also need to be strong and not to let any set back to break the spirit.
8. Where in the world do you feel "tallest"?
My own country as I believe to start making change here at home.
9. What extra-curricular activities/hobbies are you most proud of? Why?
Dance – its how got me to join Project Playground & everything I have & where I am today. I travelled also outside the country. I can say I am the woman I am today because of Project Playground and Frida Vestreberg played a huge role in my life.
10. What is the future goal/challenge (career and/or life goals in 5-10 years)?
To conduct a part time class of home & deco events workshops. Own my own car and a house as I stay in a little flat. Also to make R45000 a month in Fresh T Catering & Events.
To be my community role model, so young girls can have hope in whatever they want to achieve in life. So they can be able to see that nothing is impossible in life.
11. Anything you'd do differently (if you had another go at life)?
I don’t have any regrets about my life, I believe everything happens for a reason and God designed my way.
12. What inspires you?
My mother, she is a intellectual bright person but never got to be successful in life, due she was putting other people first before her needs. Her family took advantage of her kindness including my father. So I told myself I would never repeat what my mom went through, I’ll always put myself first and be selfish to make myself happy.
13. What are you reading now? (what books do you gift most and what are your favourite reads?)
Im reading the bible, I need some books.
14. Who is a “WOW Woman” in your life who inspires you (and why)?
Oprah, she inspires me. She’s a woman and never gave up while she was building her success. Family was not that supportive but she kept on going alone and never let those negative voices be a setback. Hence I look up to her.
15. Where can others find you/your work (links to websites, blogs, etc.)?
Facebook - Thuthula Somila Ncaca
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org