First Mate, Micronesia
Emma is an amazing athlete and takes care of a catamaran as it sails across world's oceans. She has taken on this role without knowing if she is prone to sea sickness. She is that kind of adventuress. In her spare time, it's a joy to watch her kiteboard, and shred the waves in Micronesia.
2. Where is your hometown?
3. What is your profession/career/title/self-label/designation?
First Mate onboard Sailing Yacht "Discovery"
4. What was the journey like to get where you are (career wise)? When was the mental shift to start the journey?
After highschool I decided to study Business for the main reason that it included abroad studies and internships and a good mix of international students. I focused my attention on Marketing for cultural institutions in order to avoid mass consumption and ended up working for a movie production company in Belgium. I was very career-orientated at the time but I bumped into someone that changed it all. I fell in love and decided to follow him on a boat, in the Pacific Ocean...Long story short, it has been now about 2 years we are running a kiteboarding expedition, going from island to island.
5. Biggest accomplishment since making the (physical/mental) move?
Learning sailing, kiting, fishing, freediving...in the middle of nowhere!
6. What was biggest disappointment and plan to overcome it?
There hasn't been any disappointment so far. Some times were harder than other but we made it through. The boat is all about hard work, after a while you get stronger and things seem easier.
7. Advice for other women?
Anyone can do anything, even if you don't know that discipline, you can learn, practice and become good at it!
8. Where in the world do you feel “tallest”?
I feel tall where I feel free and that's probably where I also feel the smallest...in the middle of the ocean with what it has to offer: in the swell, on a windless day, watching whales jumping out of the water, swimming with turtles, trying to touch the sky kiting....
9. What is the future goal/challenge (career goals in 5-10 years)?
The expedition will end in 2018, that's how far my life is planned...then I'll just reinvent myself. One thing for sure, I am not going back in an office!
10. What fears are you still hoping to overcome?
Having my family so far away from me, I constantly fear to break our tight bonds and to miss on important and unique life events.
11. What inspires you?
Nature inspires me. It is so beautiful and unpredictable. Same goes for Love.
12. Who is a “WOW Woman” in your life who inspires you (and why)?
My mom, who pushed me to get on that wild adventure.
13. Where can others find you/your work (links to websites, blogs, etc.)?